This is a bare bones guide to making your first batch of Kombucha.
On a difficulty scale from 1 to 10 this Make Your Own guide is a 2.
To keep it simple, we are going to make one 1/2 gallon batch.
What do I need?
- Pot (1) to boil water and make tea
- Water (64 ounces)
- Tea bags (4) prefer black like Earl Gray
- Sugar (1/2 Cup)
- One 1/2 Gallon glass jar (Walmart)
- One Scoby (will explain at the end)
How do I pull it all together?
- In your pot, bring 32 Ounces of water to just shy of a boil
- Input tea bags, and leave in the water just shy of boiling, for 20 minutes
- After 20 minutes, remove the tea bags, input your sugar and allow it to dissolve
- Take the pot off the heat, and cool sweet tea to room temperature
- Pour your cool sweet tea into your 1/2 gallon jar
- Top the jar off with another 32 ounces of water
- Input Scoby (see below)
- Cover the top with a coffee filter, and secure with a rubber band.
- Let the jar sit out of the way, out of direct sunlight, for ten days
- Refrigerate and drink as you wish
Note: At the end of the first ten days, if you want to start batch number two, repeat steps 1-7 before steps 8-10.
What is a Scoby and how do I make one?
The Scoby is short for Symbiotic Culture of Bacteria and Yeast (Scoby), and it turns your sweet tea into Kombucha.
- Buy a bottle of plain unflavored Kombucha at the grocery store
- Pour the contents into a glass jar
- Cover the top with a coffee filter, and secure with a rubber band
- Let the jar sit out of the way, out of direct sunlight, for 14 days
- What you will find in the jar at the end of the 14 days in your new Scoby